Not all college students will have the leisure of residing on campus. Additionally, if you are attending a local community college, you may not have this option at all. Over 80% of all college students are commuters, so it is relatively common to drive to classes every day.
With the hustle and bustle of hundreds or thousands of students driving to school every morning and afternoon, you'll most likely run into some traffic or parking issues. The most important thing to remember is to give yourself sufficient time to arrive at class on time and always drive safely.
Here is some additional advice for daily college commuting that will protect you and your vehicle:
- Leave for school early, especially in the first couple of weeks of the back-to-school season. This timeframe is when traffic tends to be the most congested, so there will be plenty of vehicles on the road. Departing your home early will prevent you from stressing out and speeding to school.
- Plan out your parking situation ahead of time. You may have difficulties finding parking for the first several weeks, so try getting to school first to snag a good spot. Larger schools tend to have multiple parking lots, so be sure to park in the closest location to your class. You may also have to pay to park, either through a pass or a daily charge.
- Look out for pedestrians around school areas. Many students will be walking on foot around campus. For everyone's safety, proceed with caution and watch out for pedestrians.
- Practice safe driving when commuting to and from school. It is no question that you should always obey traffic laws and avoid speeding.
- Have your vehicle inspected before the school year starts. Getting this done will ensure that your car is in tip-top shape and won't make you late to class. It will also save your parents from concerns.
We hope these suggestions will be helpful if you're planning on commuting to school. Our experienced technicians will have your car ready in no time! If your vehicle is due for an inspection or maintenance, please visit us at Stang Auto Tech.